Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Arrival to Crete 
When I arrived, Crete was nothing that I expected. My flight landed late at night with Nathan, Bailey, Megan, and Sophia. It was dark and it was hard to see the landscape, houses, or where we were going. Arriving at the institute late at night, it was a hustle to get food and wanting to go to bed because of jetlag and traveling/walking around Athens all day. My main priority was to eat and go to sleep. After waking up and looking around Crete, it was something that I did not expect. I often thought that Crete was just filled with beaches and was a rocky outcrop, a paradise filled with sun and an older generation. I also thought that this would just be a place where I would come and study and nothing more. However, after experiencing Crete for 2 days, I have already found that I was wrong. The landscape has surprised me, it has been filled with beaches, trees, tropical plants, luscious fruit, and a place just to escape. The beauty and the landscape add to the atmosphere when you are here. Feeling the breeze run through your hair and the warmth of the sunshine, make it easy to feel relaxed here. In a more relaxed state I have felt that I am more engaged in wanting to learn about Greek and its culture. What I thought that I could look over, such as the older generation, are people you should indulge. They have such an offering to give, such as love, compassion, and taking pride in their culture. They want to teach those who do not know anything about Greece, in a sense a little bit out of every aspect such as the language and cuisine. Only being here a short time I have become exposed to a lot of Greek culture, such as cuisine, the language, and landscape. I have found that I am enjoying this time, and I want to learn more. I want to be able to immerse myself in Greek culture so that I may communicate and understand better with the people who have lived and appreciated this country for most or all of their life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment