Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Winery Experience

After touring the vineyard, I have taken away two things: Hard work and Perseverance. Learning about the owner of the vineyard, it was evident that he did not have an easy life. His mom, wanting him to have a good life, sent him to America for a better opportunity, with almost nothing of value. Having the opportunity at a better life, is a big chance to make something of yourself but at the same time, it is also hard, as you are in an unfamiliar place, unaware of your surrounding, the people and culture of where you are. However, he persevered and went on to study business, and ultimately came back to his birthplace. He wanted to make something of his home place and give a draw for people to appreciate and experience Crete if they are not able to make the journey, and he did that through wine making. Starting a winery is no easy task, however he persevered and found out important information about his vineyard (that he was at a disadvantage of the chosen place for his vineyard due to heavy rainfall that can be bad for the plant) by asking the top winery owners on the island. Slowly he has been able to build his wine empire, and is now a very successful business owner that produces very high, organic quality wine for people to enjoy. What this has taught me is that even though you may be at a disadvantage or be unaware of your surroundings, you can always persevere and if you work at something, the hard work that you put in will pay off. That is what I would like to apply to my time here in Crete. I would like to apply it to my studies, but also to the Greek language. I want to put my all into learning the Greek language, so that by the time that I leave here, I will be able to communicate well with those who speak Greek naturally. 

No comments:

Post a Comment