Saturday, June 11, 2022

The first Week!

  The first week of this study abroad program has just ended, and the experience that I have had here until now has been beyond my expectations. It is fantastic to see the community's interaction here compared to the United States. Every single interaction I have had with the locals has ended up with them showing the best the place has to offer, and everywhere I went, they did their best to make me feel comfortable in their country. 

Greece is a culturally rich country, and where we are in Crete, there is a strong focus on community. Although I think this interaction is lovely, and the idea of community over individual sounds so heartwarming, I feel sometimes it can be overwhelming for the people who live here, as there is a big emphasis on duty as well. When going to the village, market, or even the beach, I have had several fantastic interactions with the people in the region.

It is impossible to select only one favorite moment of this program. However, before this trip, I didn't know most of the people that came, and what I thought would be something terrible bad turned out amazing. Having this new experience together has bonded us, and it feels like I have known them for a long time. I am looking forward to spending the following weeks with them.

All I can say about this program is that if you ever have the opportunity to do something like this, I highly recommend you do it. The connections, friendships, and lessons are worth it, and you will definitely come out with a new sense of community that you have never seen before. 







No comments:

Post a Comment