Sunday, July 1, 2018

Name Day

There’s nothing to compare Greek name days to in the US. The dancing and drinking made for a really special night that I won’t soon forget. The night began with a brief church service - what the priest talked about I have no idea. An hour after we arrived for Dr. Vamvakas name day the fun began with the band beginning to play. Before long the people of the surrounding villages began to dance. We met up with Yota’s daughter and her friend and the two of them attempted to teach us.
I am not a good dancer but I gave it a try. Going around the circle two times was enough for me and a sat down on the stone ledge nearby. Some of the group even danced alone up in front of the large crowd - something that isn’t for me. A young woman motioned for me to join her and her friend back in the dance circle. So I ended back up in the middle of the festivities (hopelessly trying to catch up) and honestly had one of the best nights of the trip. My month in Crete has been amazing and I couldn’t have asked for a better group to share these new experiences and culture with.

Best,
Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment