Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Today we visited the MAI Chania- The Mediterranean Agronomic Institute of Chania. I really enjoyed this since I have an interest in sustainable agricultural practices. Some of the topics that we discussed prior to going included the issues of food insecurity and mass food production achieved with the use of chemistry and new technologies. We also talked about Monsanto and the patent that they have on seeds which is a very controversial issue today when it comes to farming. I find this all very interesting and relevant since I work at a farm that is trying to crow crops with sustainable and organic practices. I also enjoyed the lecture given at MAI by one of the professors. Although he focused a lot on the scientific aspect of sustainability, it was valuable to hear his opinions along with the research that is being done there. I think in the future I would possibly consider going to an institute such as MAI to continue my education on sustainability and the environment.  

No comments:

Post a Comment