Thursday, June 7, 2018

A Classroom with a (Venetian) View - June 7 2018

Today we were fortunate enough to have class on the second story of a harbor-side cafe at the harbor in Chania'a Old City. Chania is a breathtaking city that gushes with history at every possible crevice. As one of Europe's oldest continuously populated settlements, the layers of the port-city's history are literally built on top of one another. We took a tour of the Old City on Sunday which set the stage for what would become today's classroom. As a student of history, naturally I was instantly drawn to this setting. There is something magical about discussing the geopolitical importance of islands while looking out the window and seeing a centuries old port that was instrumental in naval dominance of the Eastern Mediterranean. Venice, a speck at the north of the Adriatic Sea, was a powerhouse with a presence on Crete from the 13th to 17th centuries. Chania and Venetian harbors like it helped the Venetians prosper. The backdrop created an intimate connection to the content, in addition to making it feel all the more real. As someone studying to be an educator, I have found myself drawn to this sort of excursion-based learning. This was a wonderful experience I hope I am able to replicate for my future students. However, I am unsure I will ever be able to provide them with a view as spectacular of that in Chania.


No comments:

Post a Comment