Monday, June 11, 2018

Love and music


On my second visit to Chania, I experienced something so amazing that I could hardly contain myself on the bus ride home. Near the old city, tucked away between ATM machines, Pharmacy’s and gift shops, is a coffee shop. The funny thing about this coffee shop, you are not going for a coffee. Sure, you’ll probably get a beverage of one sort or the other, but the main attraction is the music. As we walked into the shop, we were greeted by 5 or 6 gentleman sitting around a table. They sat in pure jubilation, singing traditional songs passed down over generations and drinking to one another. One man starts a phrase or story and the other picks it up and continues. This musical dialogue did not stop for the entire time I sat inside. After a few moments, a bazookie appeared in my hands. Now, I have played guitar for years, but I know nothing of the bazookie. Trust me, Johnny cash sounds a lot different on this Greek instrument. It didn’t matter what it was that I played, but it was the spirit of music and new friends that made this experience truly unforgettable. The men took their time coming over to shake our hands and speak with us. The eldest appearing of the group started singing about the differences of the people of the world, and how love is universal. This shop completely supports itself through coffee and music. You never know who will be in there at any given time. To plan such an event would be difficult, to recreate it, impossible. Each day brings new voices, techniques,  and instruments.

No comments:

Post a Comment