Monday, June 11, 2018

June 11, The Day I Adored

A day that I adored

On June 9th, we made our way from the top of Samaria Gorge to the small town of Agia Roumeli. The journey down took roughly five hours in total. Professor Vamvakas stressed to us that we had to stay together and that this was a team bonding exercise-for the most part we followed that instruction!

Hiking is a really important activity for me. Growing up I spent a lot of time trail running and then later in life going on solo hikes for weeks at a time of sections of the Appalachian Trail and the Pacific Coast Trail. This felt most similar to hiking in the White Mountains. The trail becomes less steep once we got to the river bed. The river is small in size and dried up in some sections. The trail along the path of the river was the most exciting part. The stones were larger and clustered together, reminding of the black rocks in Maine, where I would go sea glass “hunting” with my siblings every summer growing up. 

Once we finished the hike we were all relieved. Though we were extremely tired some of us went up to an old Ottoman ruin. I passed on that. Instead, Lindsay and I grabbed some food and just chatted the afternoon away. Later in the night, a small group of us star gazed and just talked. It was pleasant and delightful in every way.


No comments:

Post a Comment