Thursday, June 7, 2018

One Week Later


Hey everyone, its hard to believe it has been a week since we arrived on Crete. Its amazing how different the village we are staying at, Alikianos, is from the busy streets of Athens. Time seems to move slower here, and I’ve already done so much. I never thought I’d be spending a birthday in a foreign country and I really liked visiting Chania for class and having the opportunity to explore the city. Peter, Dr. Vamvakas, and I ended up at a coffee/music shop that local musicians frequent. When we sat down, a group of local guys (who had clearly been drinking for a while) noticed us and began to sing in Greek. What they were singing about I don’t know since we’ve only been taking Greek for five days. The shop had instruments such as guitars, violins, and Bouzoukis sitting around for people to play and me and Peter began to play along to the songs as best we could. In the past week we’ve been learning about geopolitics and energy while also trying to learn Greek, and it has honestly been one of the best weeks I’ve had. Going to the beach every day for a week seems to make everything better. I was really interested to learn more about Cyprus and Crete as they relate to geopolitics. I never considered the geographical importance of the many Greek islands, but they allow Greece to dominate the Aegean Sea while shutting out Turkey. It will be exciting to go to Cyprus and Athens in the coming weeks. So much has happened so quickly. Time really does seem to move slower here, and the people are really inviting and nice. Alikianos feels really authentic and I’m excited to learn more and explore in the next month.

Ειρήνη,

Ματθαίος

No comments:

Post a Comment