Monday, June 11, 2018

skinty legends

Howdy! After the exciting events(!) of this weekend, I figured it would be the perfect time for a blog post to reflect on everything that has happened.
On Saturday, we woke up bright and early to head down to Samaria Gorge. While I admit I was slightly (maybe more than slightly) afraid to embark on this hike, I was also excited for this once in a lifetime opportunity. The gorge hike was beautiful, as expected. The terrain proved to be a bit more difficult than I thought, and by the end of it I felt pretty accomplished for making it all the way. While about half the group opted to continue hiking up to a castle, I decided to pass on that and took the bus to the beach instead. 
The beach and surrounding village were beautiful, however I was a bit upset to learn that the ferries for the next day were cancelled. Being the terrible packer that I am, I had no change of clothes, toothpaste, allergy pills, or hair brush, and I was fresh out of Euros. However, we made it work, and being stranded turned out to be a blessing in disguise. The next day, a group of us decided to hike to an even more remote village about an hour away. While I felt like I was dying on the hike there, the views were so beautiful and the end result was so worth it.
Our hike ended at a beachside restaurant next to Saint Paul's chapel. The food there was some of the best I've had in my life. It was one of the most authentic places I have ever seen, and I never would have visited had we not been stranded by the ferries. I cannot put into words how wonderful the day was. It made me realize how many wonderful experiences are out there waiting for me if I just make the effort to step outside my comfort zone. Despite Dr. Vamvakas's jokes, the ferry came the next day so we didn't have to hike out. Overall, I was extremely grateful for this unexpected weekend excursion. Till next time! 

Fin.
xx Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment