Monday, June 11, 2018

A Pauline Pilgrimage - 10 June 2018

After we had gathered for breakfast and discovered our ferry out of Samaria had been cancelled due to high winds, Dr. Vamvakas proposed a hike to a 10th-century church near the village. As a student of history, it was an opportunity I could not pass up. I put my aching bones out of my mind and set off with him and eight other students. The walk over was an adventure whose highlight was the discovery of a cave. I cannot say I had ever been inside a cave before, so that was a first for me. We continued on our way across beaches, up hills, and through trees until St. Paul was finally in sight. The church was accompanied by a small oceanfront restaurant. We had a fantastic lunch and a wonderful time as a group, joined by the tavern's owner and employees. After we had finished eating it was time to visit the church. It was over a thousand years old, and at this point in my life is the oldest structure I have ever been inside. It was frankly amazing. The church was built in the middle of the 10th century after the Byzantine Empire had reestablished control over the island of Crete. While it was a small structure, it was most certainly an amazing one. It is an experience I am likely to remember for the rest of my life and it is virtually impossible to verbalize how special of a day the 10th of June was for me. I am very fortunate to have spent it with such great company and look forward to the time I get to spend with them for the rest of the trip - and beyond.




No comments:

Post a Comment