Thursday, June 7, 2018

June 7, 2018 Market

The Street Market:

Today we started the day slightly earlier than we usual. One by one we made our ways down the hill to wait for the bus to take us to downtown Chania to visit the outdoor marketing and class. The market was along the sea situated on a single road. Entering the market you would first pass by fish vendors, then vegetable and fruit sellers, and then clothing vendors. The market is busy with both locals and tourists. The vendors were relaxed; chatting amongst their fellow sellers and calling out their prices. The market is not very different from the ones I am familiar with. Specifically, it reminded me of the weekend markets in Portland, Oregon and the street market in San Cristobal de la Casas. I felt comfort in the market. I made it a point to myself to buy a few items to try out some of my newly acquired greek. For the most part, it went well. With a bit of a stumble, accompanied by some giggling I was able to buy a dress and some bananas- and only make a slight fool of myself.

I enjoyed the market due to its bustle and the liveliness of the space. To me supporting local farms and businesses is crucial. For starters, it benefits your community directly; economically and environmentally. By shopping locally you are keeping your money within your community at the same time having access to fresher organics. Buying locally allows farmers to continue their operations and make it possible for them to maintain their livelihood. (Especially in an industry that has been facing a decline of small-scale and independently owned farms) The environmental component is rooted in “food miles” and in plastic usage. Food miles refers to the number of miles your food has travelled from farm-warehouse-grocery store and finally to your plate. Food miles are essentially the number of fossil fuels consumed during transit. Shopping at local markets additionally reduces the amount of plastic consumed. Often local markets try to avoid the use of plastic and encourage the use of reusable bags. I noticed at the market the vendors did not use plastic for packaging but expect you to use a plastic bag. I asked one of the vendors if I could just put the fruit I bought in my backpack but they insisted I use a bag just in case because they primarily do not give out receipts in the market. 

I am glad that we were able to visit, I hope we will return to the area for I can go back to the market.

No comments:

Post a Comment