Wednesday, June 13, 2018

New Pals


New Pals
My favorite thing about trips like this is how quickly you get to know people. Unlike a lot of friendships, which are spaced out over weeks of awkward interactions and half-honest conversations before you really get to know someone and be on a real honest level with them, trips like this break that awkward wall down by confining you to the same 100 ft by 100ft plot of land, closed in class room and even the same bunkbed. You spend so much time together that there isn’t really room for dishonesty or shyness, and everyone quickly gets to know people they never thought they would in ways they never thought they could.
Last year I didn’t know any of these kids names. Last week I couldn’t have told you a single significant detail about most of them. Today I feel like I know more about some of their families and lives than my own and I think that is really beautiful thing. I know that no one reads these and I don’t want to put him on blast but if you are ever bored together you ask Faarooq about his connection to the Kennedys because its the cutest shit I’ve ever heard in my life. I am excited to see how these new friendships develop over the next 3 weeks in this Hellenic Breakfast Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment