Tuesday, June 26, 2018

The Chania Agenda:

My Secret Agenda:

One of my secret favorite activités to do in a new place is to hit up the local thrift store in each respective town or city I am in. Ever since I got my license at the not so prime age of 16, I made it an effort every time I was allowed to borrow the car and drive the state over or a few towns over. Once I was older and had my own car I made it an effort to squeeze in stopping at goodwill in Fort Meyers, Wooster, Buffalo and Scranton- to name a few. It became a game and a joke amongst my close friends. The concept was that I (Cole, a frugally expensive lady) would not have TRULY experienced and REALLY visited a place unless I found a rummage sale or checked out the local thrift store. Then I would rate the state or city based on the thrift. 

I have been lucky enough to be able to continue this practice throughout my travels.

I have had luck in France, Italy and Mainland Greece, and today I was finally able to check out a few places in Chania. I am really into thrifting for a number of reasons, but the aspect that stands out the most is the different styles of modern and vintage clothes you can find from place to place. By far the best thrift store I have been to in the US is in Brattleboro, VT that sponsors the local hospice, and then the Best thrift store abroad is this small two thrift shop in the Le Marais section of Paris.

Chania's second-hand stores were neat and quite. They most resembled the atmosphere of a thift store in the basement of a church. I was able to talk with the owner of one of the shops I stopped at and she told me about how the shop is more so popular with locals rather than tourists. Which I thought was an interesting note from the conversation. Overall, I hope I will have more opportunities to check out more second-hand shops abroad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment