Saturday, June 10, 2017

Entry #4 6/10/17

It has been a while since the last time I posted. The workload has increased and there has been little free time in these excursion packed days. Yesterday, was one of the longest days the group has had so far. It started out with the war museum/lecture and transitioned to a loom and lunch which usually is separated into two days. On top of that, the group toured Minoan ruins, a hotbed of Greek mythology. Then, because that wasn't quite enough, the class toured the museum of Minoan artifacts that were full of pottery that I could definitely fit in. The educational benefits of this day were exhausting and stimulating at the same time. I learned more about World War II, the craft of looming, and a culture that I had known little to nothing about in a trinity of excursions. Since the drive was two hours long we stopped in Rethynman and had a half an hour of free time. The city was lovely, and it was probably one of my favorite stops so far. All the shopkeepers were so genuinely kind, and didn't view us only as consumers. Every worker was trying to hand me flavored Raki or leather belts to try on, no in between. I purchased a beautiful Greek bracelet with blue quartz and a silver outline around the heart. The day didn't end there. Upon arriving at the institute, I was awake until 2 am working on the midterm exam for statecraft and globalization. I think I did well, but that's not the assessment that matters. Today, I got scorched by the Mediterrenean sun on the pink sanded beach, even though the day in general was so peaceful. Tomorrow we depart for Rhodes in the morning, so until next time,
Teddy Miele

No comments:

Post a Comment