Wednesday, June 7, 2017

The Holy and Stavropegic Monastery of the Life-Giving-Spring Chrysopigi

On Tuesday, we attended a monastery and service at The Holy and Stravropegic Monastery of the Life-Giving-Spring Chrysopigi. The Monastery is nestled high up on a hill over looking the neighboring towns and Chania. The surrounding area by the Monastery is labeled as holy grounds, as well as a conservatory. My previous conception of a Monastery is just a place of worship and nothing more, however in experiencing a service, walking around the grounds, and conversing with the nuns; I have found that a Monastery is so much more. It is a community.

We started off with a brief history of the Monastery, of when it was built and the work that went into the beauty of the church and grounds surrounding. We proceeded to have a tour, seeing the courtyard, painting studio, and traveling down to see the caves where shrines and additional prayer spaces are. The conclusion to the tour was a smaller church that was farther down, as well as the educational center. The education center contained knowledge on dying wool, herbs, art, the ocean, solar power, as well as a virtual tour of the grounds. I didn't have much thought about the Monastery while touring the grounds but after I really reflected on the beauty of the buildings as well as the nuns way of life.

One thing that I found incredible was the fact of how resourceful and self sustainable they were. In talking to one of the nuns, I discovered that they did not need to purchase outside food except for fish. On the grounds of the Monastery they were able to find fruit/fruit preserves, flowers for the dye's and painting material, rely on sheep/goats both for milk, cheese and meat, plant life and access to herbs via the herb garden. They are able to make a living with little environmental impact, as well as teach a younger generation the ways of a sustainable approach to every day methods.

Another thing that impressed me was their paintings. When we were given the background of the Church, one of the nuns pointed out the decorations around the church, and that they were all handmade by the sisters residing there. Getting up close to the paintings, and tapestries one can see the immense detail and attention payed as well as needed to accomplish such a feat. These painting were beautiful and so lifelike, and certainly embodied the people they are supposed to represent. We got a chance to see inside of of the painting studies, and were fortunate enough to have an explanation of the steps it takes to accomplish a painting, such as the technique and style. In looking at the paintings, it has taught me that things don't come easy, and that patience and practice is key when trying to learn/apply/exercise a certain technique or knowledge.

A service followed our tour of the paining room, and I can say that as someone who is not partially religious, but has experienced regular church attendance in the past, I was blown away by this service. They were able to resinate something in me so fast, that I did not expect it. When the sisters started to sing, I was almost in a trance like state, their words and sounds were so captivating that I didn't want it to stop. During the service, I noticed one nun in particular that was walking around the church with a burning of incense or sage, that added to the atmosphere of calmness and consecutiveness. Although I did not understand what the nuns were saying I felt appreciative of their way of life, and their religion (as their religion is not my own).

One last thing about my experience is that I know that for some it may be hard to understand a nuns way of life. However, in attending this Monastery, I have a new understanding of their way of life. They feel a strong connection to their god, that ultimately is a greater calling to serve him that anything else in their life. Even though they may life a secluded life, it is nothing but. They are able to do their family proud, as serving god (I can only imagine) must be a high accomplishment in a society were religion has such deep routes. They are not only able to serve god but they are able to reach out and educate the community in ways that I did not think of. The name of the Monastery also captivated my attention, the name isn't just a name but an explanation for everything that they do which is a hub for giving to the community and asking for nothing in return, a spring of knowledge that flows for anyone who is willing to drink from it.





No comments:

Post a Comment