Sunday, June 18, 2017

I found many similarities between the adventure culture in Rhodes and that of Colorado. When discussing how people go to Rhodes to get drunk and act how they can't at home, it reminds me of how people travel to Colorado because of its legalization of weed.
Over the past few years, there has been an influx of tourists (mainly from California) who come to Colorado to smoke and then leave. The level of adventure tourism (in this sense) is much greater in Rhodes but it was still interesting to see some similarities.
The approach to these is also different. In Rhodes, the locals literally base their lives around this tourist culture and feed it. In Colorado, there is a great push back from locals about the influx of tourists.
While being in Cyprus, it is hard to realize how close we are to the Middle East. Seeing the Turkish flags was a real eye opener. It is very interesting how these two nation-states are able to live together semi-peacefully when they have such a long and painful history with each other.
As this program comes to an end, I am looking forward to going home. I have enjoyed this program and it has been good. I got to go many places I never dreamed of going. I am excited for this last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment