Sunday, June 4, 2017

My Week One Observations

This last week in Crete has been adventurous, difficult, and rewarding, but what I've loved and learned the most about was Greek culture and my surroundings. The women in the kitchen, locals, small business owners, and Yota all have made my experience worthwhile.

During the week we went to a market where fresh produce and homemade items were sold by vendors. This whole market is similar to the concept of a farmers market that we have back at home, but much better. Walking through the market I was often greeted for genuine reasons of trying people's food and not feeling obligated to purchase them. At almost every stand I was offered a strawberry or a slice of cheese, to me this concept was foreign. When going to an American farmer's market, items are overpriced and people are not willing to give without knowing you'll be spending your money at their stand. It was refreshing to know that people have so much pride in what they sell and do for a living. When conversing with many different men and women, I learned so much about the difference between Americans and Greeks.

When arriving at the Institute the first evening, we were greeted by all the other students, but the women in the kitchen gave even more of a warm welcome. With tight hugs and introductions, I had no idea how much of an influence these women would have on me here during my time in Greece. Everyday they make us breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and I can't forget to mention how great every single one of these meals are. These women work so hard at a job that can be viewed as not rewarding. As I'm speaking for everyone else here, my appreciation for these women, what they do, the energy they bring to the room, and how they do all of it with a smile is remarkable.

The local baker reopened his bakery for us to see how he made all of his homemade bread. Baking has been a huge part of his life as it was passed down through his family. His talent and passion towards what he does was very evident as he showed us he made his bread step by step. After he made three recipes of different breads, he gave us all of them, even though this made him no monetary profit except for the enjoyment we gained from learning from his expertise.

With these observations in mind, I've come to the conclusion that from my short time here, Greek people do everything with pride. To the Greeks it isn't about money, it's about showing people that your strawberries are delicious and the profit you make is from everyone's enjoyment.

No comments:

Post a Comment