Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Leadership vs. Management

We're nearing the end of the program, and Lord have mercy I don't want it to end. I really don't; the amount of things I've seen and amount of things I've experienced on this program are numerous and the amount of intriguing conversations and encounters are many more than I would usually get in one whole entire academic semester. Yeah, I said it. These three weeks have had more than I've gotten in 3 months.

Seeing what we talk about in the classroom in action is one of the highlights here, and it takes me to a conversation / discussion we had in Statecraft today. The issue of Leadership vs. Management.

What consists of a true leader? What consists of a true manager? I'd wager to say that all leaders and managers are of two special toolkits; your red pills and blue pills for a lack of a better concept. They both have their own concepts and do their own special things, and cannot be confused for each other. I firmly believe that leaders are leaders because they shift the paradigm and that managers are managers because they keep the systems stable and in place. Why? Because they cannot be one another. They can only be good versions of each other. Good leaders like Kwame Nkrumah shifted the paradigm. They took the road less traveled. Managers would be individuals like Hillary Clinton, as she continues policies established by Bill Clinton.

This leads into the leadership crisis that's been established out here that's really spooky. Like, where are we headed from here? Clearly, some of the issues we have currently (re: the Eurozone Crisis) stem from a lack of concrete leadership. Look at Tsipras. Look at the outlook for Greece in this complicated era. How do we fix all of this? It's really a lot to think about friends, isn't it.

Love u.

No comments:

Post a Comment