Sunday, June 18, 2017

"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return" This same sentiment can be applied to my time in the Mediterranean. As we approach our final week, I feel a sense of regret.. I am regretful that this trip will soon come to a close, and my departure from Cyprus, and from Crete, is imminent.
This past week saw the group journeying to and from Rhodes, the city that rose from the water like an act from the gods. On the island we encounter numerous people, each with their own story to tell. We also saw the tourism industry at its height in Greece, and what a damper it puts on the experience of the once great civilization. As we drove across the island, I could not help but feel upset by westernization and it's transformation of the island. To go from an island like Crete, where family is felt with every glance, every taste, and every touch; to an island where tourism has corrupted the landscape and taken priority over all those who visit and inhabit. I love Greece, and I cannot believe that I have only 9 days to go. 
Yours truly and sincerely, 
Edward George 

No comments:

Post a Comment