Saturday, June 10, 2017

Post week 2 Reflection

Week 2 is coming to a close, and yet I feel as though its going by far too quickly. This week has been absolutely incredible in regards to the material that we have learned, and what we have seen! We had three traveling professors talk to us about the Mediterranean and I must say I loved furthering my knowledge on the Middle East. The institute also hosted Cretan night and boy was that fun (I'm sure for anyone watching us dance it much have been a blast). Yesterday was by far our busiest day, having three different sites to visit. The past few days have also been very difficult for me, as my country just had a general election that threw the country onto a path with no end in sight. The conservative party lost its majority, and the Labor party was not even close. Now Theresa May is refusing to step down and is attempting to form a minority government (which is despicable to put it nicely). This is going to make the Brexit negotiations even more difficult, because our government is without strong leadership.
Although the election left me in a panic, yest
erday I did have an amazing experience mostly because of the generosity of the people who taught us about the loom and provided us with a hearty meal (YUM!). Following our experience with those wonderful people and the patriarch of the family who reminded me very much of my late GrandFather (A man who just like him was very patriotic about his country and felt the affect of the second world war) we proceeded to Knossos where a childhood dream of mine was fulfilled. When I was 10 years old my dad and I made a map of places we were going to travel together, Knossos was one of those locations, as was Athens and Cairo (which we visited that summer when I was 10). Although my father was not here with me, I managed to share plenty of pictures with him and finally got to see the location of the mythological Minotaur. I smiled the entirety of the day, and my only wish was that I could see more.
Until next time,
The Honorable, Edward George Bennie

No comments:

Post a Comment