Friday, June 2, 2017

Week One Recap

As the first official week comes to an end, I think it's a good time to reflect on what has happened. This trip has been a great experience so far. From getting to spend three days in Athens, to the week spent here in Crete, I am very appreciate of the Greek lifestyle. The commitment everyone has to each other has been refreshing to experience. I like that everyone seems to care about their fellow villagers. It is all very personal.
This was evident in our trip to the bakery. That family took time out of their work day and personal time to show us how their bread is made and let us all take the bread home. It was a very kind thing to do. Nobody here seems to have ulterior motives to their generosity, but just does it because they can and it makes others feel good.
 On the class side of this trip, the classes and discussions have been very informative. Before coming here, I really didn't know much about Greece or the problems they were facing, both socially and economically. I also was not aware of how much they seem to rely on agriculture. I am very glad we got to go to the packaging plant and see a little side of the economy here.
I am very proud of how far I have come in even just the past week. Less than a year ago, I was unable to take the T by myself or leave my dorm room without talking myself up to it for hours first. Now, sitting here, I was able to travel to three airports by myself and come to another country on my own. I am here on this trip with people I did not know before coming here and yet I have been able to make friends this early on. I am excited to see what else I can improve on in the next three weeks. Moving forward, I am looking forward to going to Cyprus. The UN is what I hope to work for in the future so I am very excited to get to go to the "dead zone" with them and see what it is all about.

1 comment: