Friday, June 23, 2017

Scavenger Hunt

A few nights ago we had our second scavenger hunt of the program. The first scavenger hunt took place in Rhodes and my team had a great time running around the city exploring, learning (and winning). The most recent scavenger hunt was around our neighborhood in Alikianos. I have to admit I wasn't too excited to do a scavenger hunt after a long day and with the deadline for a paper hanging over my head, but once we got started I realized I was thankful for the incentive to get out and explore Alikianos. The village was absolutely beautiful with the pink sun hitting the mountains at sunset, and because I arrived to the program a day late I missed the initial tour of the village so it was nice to go investigate some of its hidden treasures. I was sad to realize that this is the last week of the program and I didn't spend nearly enough time out in the village. One of the most heartwarming things was when our group was searching for Basil and we thought there would be some in a woman's garden. Even though she didn't speak much English, Starr was able to connect with her and it was a really sweet reminder that a huge part of the scavenger hunts should be connecting with locals and not being afraid to ask for help. In the end both teams ran up the final hill together, which served as another reminder in the sense that the scavenger hunts should be about coming together as a program as much as it's about engaging with the community.

No comments:

Post a Comment