Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Week Two...

Music is a universal language. It’s a language that we all speak and understand, and we each interpret differently.
Two nights ago at the Church of the Holy Cross, my classmates and I had the opportunity to sit among the people of the village (many of whom had lived here most of their lives and some who remember the construction of this very church) and take part in celebrating Saint George, the holy Martyr of Alikianos. I had the privilege of sitting beside Klio, one of the woman who have helped introduce us to the food and culture of the Island, and she translated some of the sermon to me so that I can get a taste of how powerful the words of the priest were.
Before the sermon, a men’s choir stepped up to perform a song of praise in honor of the virgin Mary. The piece had no lyrics and was delivered as a type of chant, and as someone who does not speak the language of the island it was nice being able to enjoy the power and emotion that fluttered throughout the church grounds as the men chanted.
As I sat and listened, people trickled in and out of their chairs as they looked around the crowd and saw family members and friends slowly arrive to celebrate with the community. Klio was with her mother, and her son joined us soon after. Children ran through the aisles, women greeted their mothers and sisters with a kiss on either cheek, and, although I could not understand their words or conversation, I understood who they were, and what brought them all together that night. That night was, to me, the night that I felt most like a part of the village community. After the sermon, the town’s youth choir was brought up to perform, followed by the official choir of Alikianos, and the music reminded me of the Sunday mornings my family and I spent at the Igreja do Espirito Santo (Church of the Holy Spirit), in Fall River.
The past few days that I have spent in Crete have been filled with a certain spiritual connection that has helped bring me closer to this land and its community. At the church of the Holy Cross, I lit a candle for Mr. Spencer. Mr. Spencer was my theater director when I was performing at Kuss Middle School, and from those first 3 months that we worked together on my very first production I gained an incredible friend and mentor who has guided me over the past 10 years. He passed away just a few weeks before I left for this experience, and my heart has been with him, his family, and my Kuss Theatre community.
Yesterday we visited a monastery, and were led through the grounds by two of the nuns who helped us understand the Greek Orthodox tradition. I was taken by their connection to the land and their dedication to labor and service. Their ability to sustain themselves and the pride they took in the work that they were doing was inspiring, and fit in beautifully with the lessons of the day, looking at sustainability and water security in the region.

Tonight, we will be celebrating a “Cretan Night” here at the institute, and I look forward to seeing what the night, and the rest of the week has in store!

No comments:

Post a Comment