Thursday, June 8, 2017

Monastery & Landscape

I thought the monastery was very captivating. Through the Nuns explanation of how they live it was clear to see that they were completely self sustainable. One nun I was talking to kept saying the world is full of suffering and that the nuns accept all people from any background. She said that through Christianity peace can be achieved through the grace of God, and that they were all there by the grace of God and his blessings to them. Although they believe in complete peace and are adamantly vocal about peace negotiations. By living in a monastery and exiting from political participation one is only passively contributing to peace. In this way, the only way they can arguably make a difference is by the acknowledgement of their devotion, in hope that its moving enough to motivate people towards peace. I told one nun she was wise and she responded with, “I am just like you my child, I am not wise.” That really struck me because I was witness to this holy person telling me we were equal and I just didn’t know how to respond. The whole landscape was gorgeous and truly representative of the bio-diversity of the island of Crete. From hiking the gorge and it reminding me of Colorado, to the beach down at the finish line. This island has undoubtedly commanded my attention. While I was searching for rocks I noticed just in that instance the marvel in small details of the landscape. From the ways the vines hug building structures, to the different types of flowers I see everyday. Its so easy to go abroad and be captivated by a place and its uniqueness, but this really isn’t just a place, it’s a treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment