Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Days after Arrival

Prior to my arrival I wasn’t sure what to expect. I had google imaged Greece before and have close friends who are Greek, so I assumed what the culture and atmosphere might be like. However, google images and merely asking my friends what to expect, does not nearly compare to the overwhelming generosity of the people, in addition to the spirit and indescribable vibrancy of the Mediterranean. Before I got to the institute I spent a day in Athens with Jamie, Megan, Nathan, and Sophia. I’m glad I went there first because it has allowed me to make comparisons between Crete and the capital. Athens seemed to be compiled of functional noise; sort of where city structures collide with development, in addition to rich culture. It was unlike any other capital I’ve seen. (its also pretty clean!!!) Arriving in Crete we we’re greeted by Dr.Vamvakas and the remaining group members. I was happy to see some familiar faces and eager to meet new ones.
The other day Nana and I were discussing the time here and how everything moves slow. While discussing this I realized that it was not necessarily true because I feel as though Greek culture is fast paced, but at the same time a slow dance. I think the time goes by slow here because we’re all not on our phones. It made me realize how many seconds a day I spend on my phone back in Boston, endless scrolling looking to fill my brain up with meaningless fluff. While being here and not reliant on constant gratification, validation, or affirmation from social media, I’ve been able to LOOK UP and see what’s in front of me…as cliché as that sounds, its true. Maybe if I had amazing wifi I would be in my room talking to friends and not learning and practicing Greek with the ladies’ upstairs, Yota, or her daughters. By not looking at my phone I’ve been able to reach out to my peers and inquire about their lives, which has made the whole experience much more authentic. Its just us here. And to enjoy our time, we have to make it enjoyable. last night some of us stayed up later playing spoons on the courtyard whilst stuffing our faces which chocolate cake that Anastasia brought to us.

I’ve also had the pleasure to get to know Yota, her daughter, and her friend Sofia. When we went to the first beach Fidrah and I took a walk and had a great conversation with very little sophisticated exchange. That’s something I’ve also realized. That to have meaningful conversations you don’t necessarily need big words or ideas, but rather the intention to really know what the other is thinking. One of the first night’s, Greek class had ended and everyone was sitting in the courtyard. Being me, and seeing people sitting around with nothing to do, means that we should all probably just be dancing. I ran into my room, got my speaker, pulled people out of their chairs and we all got to steppin’ that I think was a great decision because I was able to show the girls I wanted to get to know them, and since I didn’t have the right tools to ask certain questions, I knew through dancing they would be able to see my genuine desire to befriend them. Thus far the experience has been unbelievably extraordinary and I can’t wait to see what’s to come next. Ta Ta for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment