Saturday, June 24, 2017

VENI VIDI AMAVI

One of the things which stood out to me the most on this trip was when we went and listened with the local farmers learn on how to plant and cultivate avocados. As bizarre as that might sound, I really did enjoy being able to witness the behind the scenes process, because it let us all in on the secrets from where produce comes from. During my sustainable development class, we discussed food policy and to what extent food cultivation, and food consumption effects the overall sustainability of the planet. Being in that room, and witnessing real farmers taking notes on how to better their crops gave me the same chills the military base did. Farmers are the backbones of society and far too often their work goes unnoticed and unappreciated. Having the ability to even be in the same room as those guys was really an extraordinary experience. 
It’s interesting to think back on the first couple days here and to see everything I have done, compared to now. I remember one day we all came out of Yota’s class and I decided to grab a piece of paper, a pen, and write down the English pronunciation of any Greek phrases that I could find on the internet. I sat down with Evjenia and she helped me formulate the pronunciation. It was a weird experience at first because we had never talked before, and I wasn’t sure how she would interpret me seeking help. At the same moment when I was sitting with her, Anastasia and Cleo peeped their heads out to see what was going on. They smiled, and eagerly joined in. I ended up using what we had written when we went to the markets, or into Chania. It was really helpful while I was first learning greek. To this day I still have that list, and it holds a special place in my heart, as it represents the 5 seconds of courage I had to ask for help, and how that moment ultimately ignited a relationship with these women I cherish forever. Later that day Nathan and I went down to the grocery store bought a bottle of wine and went back to the patio to sit and talk. Little did we know this would be the first time we really got to meet Yanni. I really enjoyed this moment because of how authentic it was. This man had just been pulled out of a river, yet he was willing to talk about the complexity of Trump’s election in America and to what extent censorship effects the tough skin of “millennial snowflakes.” After having these interactions I was able to get a taste of just how open Greek culture is; you come, need a place to stay, and will we feed you. To this day I can’t shake how telling it was for the institute to have let Yanni into our weird bubble of Emmanuel. This is the definition of Greek hospitality, and just what I said during the round table in Rhodes. One simply cannot deny the overwhelming generosity that exists within Greek culture. The cross one might bear is the cross, “we all bear.” If it weren’t for this mentality none of us would have had the pleasure to get to know Yanni and be blessed with all the wise words he was kind enough to share.

This is where my overarching, conceptualization of life comes into play. The world, what we do, where we go, who we meet, and what we see, is absolutely intentional as those factors play a major role in who we become, and how we interact with the world. The reasoning behind why we all came here was different, yet it is the curiosity that exists within exploration which was our common denominator. If Yanni hadn’t found his way into the river, he would have never needed to seek refuge at the institute, and I would have never been able to hear his words which comforted me






two nights ago. For me, everything is either connected in some way or it isn’t. Coming here I was able to see how certain things played out and to what extent those events influenced my life. I wouldn’t change one thing about my experience here. I’m so fortunate to have spent a third of my summer in this remarkable place, and I am more than thankful to the people I shared it with.

No comments:

Post a Comment