Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Architecture

In the past couple of days that we have travelled to many cities, we have seen different architecture that has left mixed feelings with the group and me. Personally, I never thought of the buildings and the back story of them until James commented that they made him feel smaller. I personally have a deep appreciation of the buildings and the architecture that we saw. I think that the beauty and the art that each building delivers is mesmerizing. However, I understand where people are coming from when they say that they have negative emotions about them and why they don’t feel the same appreciation as I do. I think it’s crucial to understand the history that each building tells us whether it is the building that Mussolini built or the slaves during the Roman Empire. It is horrible what they had to go through and I do deeply feel sorry for them but yet those buildings I think ate more than just who built them. For me, the buildings are a reminder of how powerful a human being is as a species. Sometimes people talk about the fear that they have of other animals and things, yet forgetting how powerful they are themselves and how far they have gotten in history. Those buildings remind me of the past and humble me for the future. They humble me because they are a reminder of power and understanding how powerful human beings were and still are. Again I’m not ignorant of the terrible things that the people who actually built it went through however it is a reminder that unfortunately, our world works that way. Finally, we can develop an appreciation for the beauty of the architecture yet not forgetting the past and the lessons that they bring with them because every one of those buildings is part of the history of the human past and will be part of it in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment