Monday, June 10, 2019

Strength (Post 4)


Driving down the hill on the bus coming back from a long weekend, I am filled with a lot of different emotions, but mostly I feel both a sense of relief and accomplishment. On a more personal note, this time last year, being extremely ill, I would not even be able to walk from the bus, at the top of the mountain, to the sign labeling the start of the gorge (approximately 30 feet). Today, I am healthy and was able to walk the gorge completely with minimal stops. With every step I made that I almost fell or the exhaustion that took over my disabled arm and leg, where I wanted to stop, I reminded myself of the complete control I had and how I had the ability to do it. This wasn’t just a hike down a mountain to me but a way of proving my own strength to myself. Strength is not something I take for granted and was something I didn’t realize until it was taken away from me. There are a lot of people that don’t have the chance to do many of the things we have been doing on this trip and I am grateful for it all and the perspective I have that lets me be so thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment