Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Capturing the Moment

Travelling to the extent that we have over the past few weeks is truly a once in a lifetime opportunity. To eyes that have never seen sights anything like the ones we’ve seen - waters so clear you can see 10, 20 feet down below; lava cooled down on a mountainside; the architecture that has inspired the West on nearly every civic building created - these moments must be captured. You want to remember how you felt, looked. You want to remember seeing those sights again. But every day, every time I take a picture, I wonder - am I diminishing the experience of capturing these moments in my own eyes and storing them in the memory located in my mind, rather than the cloud? To some extent, I want to share the images I’ve taken along this adventure to help with the stories I can tell of it. Despite this, I know that no image can do this journey and its visuals justice. Maybe it’s just the culture we’ve been adapted to - there’s a camera in my pocket and I’m expected to use it. Or maybe it’s a drive to trap beauty in the confines of a photograph. Perhaps it’s a hobby I’m developing that I never realized before. I know I will look back fondly on the images that I’ve collected along the way, but I certainly hope I remember what it all looked like through my own eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment