Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Rome

Walking through Rome, I was struck by the sheer density of the monuments and Cathedrals.  It felt as if every other block I was met with another ornate and imposing marble structure.  This has left me wondering what motivated Romans to build and maintain these great works.  It’s not as if Rome is unmatched in its wealth, as there have been and are richer cities.  I doubt there’s some genetic disposition of Italians which makes them more appreciative or desirous of giant public works of art. Judging from the amount of tourists, anyone can appreciate these works. Is it some peculiarity of the Catholic Church?  The cultural legacy of the Roman Empire? A powerful tourism industry? The closest comparison I can think of in the United States is the National Mall, which despite the United States’ greater wealth and power, pales in comparison to something like the Pantheon.  What has made Rome invest in these displays to such a degree?

No comments:

Post a Comment