Thursday, June 27, 2019

On the Border


As Professor Vamvakas said being in Cyprus was truly a surreal experience. I have always heard stories, and seen pictures but to actually be there was something different entirely. Just 25 feet from where we were staying was this concrete bunker like structure, a razor wire fence, and a Greek and Cypriot flag joined together on one flag pole. Crossing the border into the buffer zone was an experience that I am thankful that I was able to have. We look at division in the form of Democrats and Republicans in the United States, but barbed wire fences and armed guard are not what separates them. This experience was also very personal for me. My grandfather was part of the Greek military element that was sent to fight the Turkish military. I took a rock from a buffer zone that I plan on bringing to him. This was a once in a lifetime experience and I am glad I was able to experience it and gain a new perspective on the issue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment