Saturday, June 29, 2019

Thank You for Everything You Gave Me

I took the worst shower of my life on the morning of May 30th right after waking up in my uncomfortable bed that I don't fit in length wise. At this point, I was still frustrated that I was placed in my room with someone who I knew nothing about and couldn't imagine getting along with. On May 30th I was worried that I would have a hard time adjusting to our lifestyle here and I didn't understand how people could put up with the difficulties that we faced at first.

Everything became gradually easier as time passed, thankfully I was able to be in a great group of people who made every day as enjoyable as possible. The shower problem turned out to be for the better, at home I've been known to take incredibly long showers but while here I was able to cut that waste of time and water out while spending more time with others. The size of my bed barely mattered because I never spend any free time in my room and instead used that time to socialize or do work. I've never been much of a morning person up to this point but lately I've felt great getting up early and getting the most out of my day as I can. Some of the greatest moments of my trip came from waking up early like the Pantheon in Rome, the fish markets in Sicily, and the breakfast operations in Cyprus. 

Our internet hasn't been great and my phone broke 10 days ago but in all honestly its been a blessing in disguise. I can't remember the last time that I was able to avoid electronics to this extent, its been liberating to not carry around my phone and continually check for mundane updates every 5 mins. I thought I would struggle to adapt to my surrounding here in Crete and on our travels but I was wrong, some legs of our journey might have been difficult but there isn't a thing I would change given the opportunity. 

Above all else I'm thankful for the experiences shared with me with all of the great people I met along the way. I'm looking forward to catching up with everyone at home as soon as possible because I can't imagine going to long without talking to all of you. In the end, none of our challenges during our travels mattered, what mattered most to me was the companionship that we found along the way. I hope everyone was able to enjoy their time as much as I did and I can not thank you all enough for an incredible month together. We did It and we did it together with smiles and never ending laughter, for that I am ever grateful.

Thank you, 
Nate 

No comments:

Post a Comment