Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Home Away From Home-June 5, 2019

It's only been a week since the program started, but I am already starting to feel at home here in Crete. Like we talked about in class today, part of the culture here includes the personal relationships that people have with each other. Yesterday, the ladies in the kitchen were preparing to make dolmathes, a traditional dish composed of grape leaves stuffed with rice and herbs. I noticed them getting the ingredients ready and, because my mom makes me help her cook them all the time, I asked them if we could help. They were excited and brought all the ingredients to the table, so professor Smirles and I helped them wrap the grape leaves while others came to see how they are made. Even though I just met these ladies a week ago, I felt like I was cooking in the kitchen with my family. Small interactions like this portray the intimate communities here and how everyone is treated like family.

Thespina

No comments:

Post a Comment