Thursday, July 14, 2016

Better late than never!

So I haven't blogged in a while and even though we're in Rhodes now I really want to blog about the woman's cooperative we visited in Crete that was supported by the UN. I was amazed at the hospitality we received, especially since we were in a mountainous area known for being a very tough place. We were greeted and given food and drink (in true Greek fashion) as soon as we stepped off the bus. Then we got to see the beautiful weaving that the women there do. It is unlike any process I have ever seen, and they make their textiles completely from their own work, right down to where they get the thread from. I think this is a great way to give women independence and show them that they can do anything they set their minds to, whether that be creating a beautiful blanket or supporting themselves. The man who gave us the tour said something that really stood out to me: "Love, strength, and faith is all you need to produce miracles, not money." I think this is the draw of a small society like the highlands of Greece, the personal touches and the strong bonds that are created.

No comments:

Post a Comment