Friday, July 15, 2016

Last day

I can't believe today is the last day of our program! I always joke that Petros always over hypes things but this program truly lived up to his praise, if not, more! Before coming, I was excited but also really nervous. I had no idea what I was getting myself into and I only knew two people coming on the trip. I'm so lucky to say that this trip allowed learn more about the Mediterranean, sight see, eat yummy food, make some really amazing friends and also learn more about myself--apparently I sleep a lot?! Just kidding, I knew that.
I also thought this trip would help me understand more about the problems our world is currently facing but in fact, I think I am leaving with more questions. This program is very intense and sometimes, it can feel like we are going a hundred miles a minute. This was a hard adjustment as a lot of us thought we were going to run on island time the entire trip. However, just miles from us, there are refugee boats that are being capsized. As I write this blog, I can see Turkey just 11 miles away across the water. I thought I would find solutions to the issues we have been discussing for the past 4 weeks, but I think I'm more confused than ever. As the simulation between the EU, UN, and NATO groups taught us today, the issues around the world are very complex. There is no sole solution or policy to tackle state failure, the refugee crisis, economic collapse or food insecurity. Such issues are all interconnected and it is always changing. Overall, this program has taught me to be more curious and to stay aware and involved with the issues happening in our world.

THANK YOU ALL <3
Tess
ME...This whole trip...

No comments:

Post a Comment