Friday, July 15, 2016

Day One Down

June 17, 2016

Upon arriving in Chania, there are some things that I immediately notice. At the airport, not many people could speak English and those who could weren't much help because I didn't know where I was going. From my understanding, Crete is set up in villages with very few towns/cities. Also, the concept of an address does not seem to be very prevalent here. On one hand I wanted to tap into my American mindset and say that none of it made sense, but on the other hand I loved the set up of Crete. To maneuver through Crete you must know it. You must know the villages, and you have to be willing to speak to other people to receive directions to get to your destination if you're lost. Khleo asked multiple people for directions when we got lost on our way to the institute and at first I would keep suggesting that we use GPS, but she would keep saying "No, it's okay I prefer to ask." My first day in Crete really showed me how out of my element I was, but this also showed me that I could honestly have a life changing experience as cliche as it sounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment