Friday, July 15, 2016

Lindos

On Wednesday, we took an hour and a half bus ride to Lindos and it was HAWT. Although, the old town area of Rodos is very enchanting, the location of our hotel is highly touristy. So, it was really nice to trek out to Lindos for a change. I took a donkey ride up to the top of the mountain where there was a castle. At first, it was really cool to ride a donkey, but I realized that they received little to no rest or water and had to climb up and down the mountain all day in the heat with tourists on their back :( Afterwards, we went to the beach and played chicken in the water. I believe Aleko is still the undefeated champion!


I really enjoyed that day because it felt like we were all hanging out in Crete again. Even though, Rhodes has its own unique characteristics, it is very much different than Crete. I felt like an insider or part of the village's community in Alikianos, Chania. Here, I feel like every young tourist on vacation. In fact, the first day here, my friends and I were surprised that none of the stores or restaurants were advertised in Greek. It's sad that parts of Rhodes has been stripped of its traditional culture to please and meet the demands of tourists.  

No comments:

Post a Comment