Thursday, July 14, 2016

Greek Concert at the Old Stadium

Tuesday night was probably one of the most unique experiences I have had on this trip. A group of us went to hear George Dalaras and Maria Farantouri sing at the old stadium in Rhodes. Even though it started a couple of hours late due to generator failure, it was well worth it to stick around! Both of them are amazing vocalists, and even though I couldn't understand the words they were singing their music is so good that I could still feel the emotions behind the songs. Ilias was nice enough to translate a lot of the lyrics, and it was quite eye-opening for me to see how powerful the words were compared to that of modern American music. Their type of music was banned during the Greek dictatorship, which I think adds another layer of meaning to all of it. Needless to say, Professor Vamvakas was completely in his element! If you ever want to see him dance, this music will do the trick!

No comments:

Post a Comment